Once Upon a Fat Girl

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Icks

I feel like I'm losing my mind lately. I'm so damn...absentminded.

I went to the grocery store on Saturday, got the baby out of the car, walked my cart inside--then realized I was wearing my slippers. I forgot to put on shoes, for christsake. Oh, and a couple of weeks ago I left my car keys on the roof of the van--they are now somewhere in the vast desert between our house and my dad's in Logandale. (I think. I can't even really remember if that's what I did with them. Regardless, they are gone.)

And I keep losing words. A word that I should know is just gone for a few mintues. It's freaky.

I'm also freezing, and a little crabby (think mild to medium PMS) and I am so tired. So incredibly tired. I took a two hour nap today, sitting straight up on the couch. I sat down to watch the news at one and woke up two hours later.

So I think it's my thyroid. I've been to the doctor once before for similar symptoms, right after I had Ruby. My thyroid test came back normal--even a little high. So I think maybe I have some sort of weird thyroid that overworks or normalizes during pregnancy (hence at least 40 pounds lost during each pregnancy) and then plummets after I give birth (hence at least 60 pounds gained after each pregnancy.) Then things settle down, I lose a few pounds and my weight stabilizes for the most part. I weighed about the same from six months after I had Adrienne until I got pregnant with Nick, and the same between Nick and Ruby. Now I've lost twenty pounds and everything has come to a screeching halt.

Anyway. I'm due for my annual exam at the GYN anyway (ugh) and I'm going to ask him about my thyroid. I think I may have kicked it up again by eating a lot of spinach, broccoli and cabbage (nearly everyday for the last two months) which Dr. Andrew Weil says are a no-no for people with low thyroid.

Foods that depress thyroid activity are broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soy, beans, and mustard greens. These foods should be included in the diet for hyperthyroid conditions and avoided for hypothyroid conditions.


Anywho. I started taking Thyroid Support by Natrabio, which I picked up at Sunflower Market on Saturday (in my slippers. Damn.) And after three days, I am feeling a little better. Still tired, obviously, considering my two hour nap. But I'm less scatterbrained and I'm not feeling as crappy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably stating the obvious but how's your protein intake?

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, it's like the great irony of life....foods that are good for you otherwise are bad for the thyroid. It's too crazy, right?

I hope those pills you got help out!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home