Once Upon a Fat Girl

Friday, June 30, 2006

Still Sleepy--But Buffed Up

I'm still so tired. It didn't help AT ALL that Kevin accidently woke up Ruby at 4 a.m., and the girl didn't go back to sleep. She watched the Disney Channel and gnoshed on her baba for an hour and a half, so I got to sleep until a whopping 5:30 a.m.

It REALLY didn't help that since I slept all afternoon yesterday, I couldn't fall asleep until 1 a.m. Yeah. Four and a half hours of sleep isn't enough for me. So I took a nap again this afternoon--two hours while Ruby napped.

Then we went to the Y and the kids swam while I worked out. I did my weight training, and 20 minutes on the bike. I also did five minutes on the elliptical trainer. Damn--that thing is so hard!

One funny thing: I usually do the lat pull down first--with 75 pounds. But for some reason I went to the chest press first and set it for the lat weight. I normally only do 40 pounds on the chest press. I set it for 75 and thought...OMG, why is this so hard? I took the little five pound weight off and did the whole set at 70. Then realized that I've been doing it at 40! I guess I'm stronger than I thought!

I had planned to do weights twice a week--but Bob Greene's book says that you get significantly more benefit by doing weights three times a week. So, I figured what the hell. My plan is to do one hour long bike ride and one hour long walk each week. Then three days of a shorter 20 to 30 minute cardio workout, and the weight training. And then two days off. I don't want to do a strict schedule...but I'll have to have at least one day between weight days to recover. This week so far I've done the hour long walk, two strength workouts and one shorter bike ride. (My weeks go from Monday to Sunday.) So tomorrow I plan on doing the hour long bike ride. Then Saturday a shorter walk or bike ride, and weights again. Then Sunday off. Ta da!

Another funny/odd thing: apparently my body is finally getting used to eating less food (knock on wood!) The past three days I've eaten exactly I wanted, when I was hungry, and stopped when I was full with no problem, no anxiety, no nothing! In analyzing my eating habits though--I have noticed that I need more food on weight training days. Maybe two or three hundred extra calories.

I'm going to bed early tonight NO MATTER WHAT! I'm taking an Excedrine PM, and I'm not letting Ruby go to bed too early. Poor baby. Swimming wipes her out, and usually means missing her afternoon nap, so she's been going to bed for the night at like 5:30. Hence the 4 a.m. wake up calls. Ugh.

In analyzing why I'm so tired:

1. I have done double the workouts this week as I have been (double the length, I mean.)

2. I do take vitamins...a multi, plus a magnesium/potasium, an iron because I'm anemic, C, B and fish oil.

3. I think I'm getting enough protein...about 20 percent of my calories, which is the upper end of what Calorie King reccomends.

4. It's freaking hot around here...H.O.T. like 110 plus degrees. So I've been drinking probably a little too much Diet Coke--so too much caffine.

5. I'm getting a little less sleep...maybe an hour or so...than I really need. I used to be right as rain on six hours a night. Now I absolutely need eight. It must be the exercise. I'm having a hard time managing to get the full eight. Need to work on that.

So here's to hoping that my body will get used to the extra activity, that I'll figure out a way to actually sleep eight hours a night (that means a ten p.m. bedtime, because Ruby is up at six most days...ugh) and that I'll be able to get used to drinking less soda and more water. Double ugh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

If you can get a hold of it, drink some propel, or the the Target market pantry "fitness drink mix" which comes in single serving pouches. They both hydrate like water, with some electrolytes, which you are sweating out when you exercise.

I've got the Triathlete mag, but have yet to read it. I've been busy with a class....it's over, TG.

Shaunta, you amaze me every day!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You do realise you are going to have to bump up the chest press weight for good now.

Diet coke is so bad. I try not to drink it but sometimes I just gotta.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Living to Feel Good said...

I have to say it's very impressive how you keep to your exercise!! I need to get going on it, and although I am not enduring the heat like you are right now, it is damn hot here too. It feels like Florida, and I hate Florida.

Isn't it great when you notice that your stomach has gotten smaller and needs less food? I love that feeling. I hate when I stretch it out and have to start all over again.

Good job.

4:55 PM  
Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

Shaunta, you are the hardest working woman I know! Seriously, wow. Here's hoping your sleep pattern gets better soon hon. :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home