Once Upon a Fat Girl

Monday, July 03, 2006

My Medium Bones

My best friend doesn't believe me when I tell her that I have a medium build. Maybe because I'm tall. Maybe because I have broad shoulders? Maybe because when has anyone ever looked at a 170-pounds-over-weight woman and seen anything medium about her? She loves me, she doesn't judge me...she just thinks that I have big bones.

But she didn't know me the last time I weighed 150 pounds. I can tell her that I have broad shoulders, but narrow hips, until I'm blue in the face. That at 150 pounds I'll wear a size six or eight (she weighs 160 pounds and wears a size 14 or 16...she's very small boned). It doesn't matter. She'll just have to see.

Last week I exercised nearly five hours, biked 23.3 miles and walked 3.1 miles. I lifted weights twice. I really didn't expect to be bitten by the exercise bug. Even though I was an athlete in my once-upon-a-time, I was sure that I'd never get there again. In fact, I've often thought that there is no way I can be thin because I wasn't particularily skinny even when I exercised two to four hours everyday (oooooooh how skewed my self-image is.) But turns out that sweating and pushing myself...even for modest gains in strength and speed...even when I'm by far the fattest girl at the Y and people are looking...even then...feels really good.

***

Today is weights and a shorter bike ride. Normally I take Monday off the gym...but the Y is closed tomorrow so I'm going today. Then wednesday my long walk/jog.

We're also going to see the Superman movie today. Should be fun, whether the movie is any good or not :) My mother-in-law is taking the baby. I say any movie where I don't have to chase the toddler up and down the aisles and leave at the good part because she's breaking eardrums with her screeching is a good movie!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

Good friends are lovely things, but sometimes they love you too much and see through your outside into the wonderful person you are on the inside...it's skews their view. Friends are the best, but sometimes they aren't the best help. It's unfortunate.

Way to go on exercising for ~5 hours! That's about 5 hours more than I got done! Way to go, Shaunta! You are doing amazing things these days, keep it up.

Have fun at the movies.

Oh, and I'm feeling tons better todya, but I'm going to take it easy....maybe. :)

8:04 AM  
Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

I hope you enjoy the flick Shaunta. If nothing else you'll have some eye candy for a couple hours.

Check out all that fab exercising you did!! Way to go. Seriously great :)

8:59 AM  
Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

I forgot to mention that I did read the article in Triathete...man, you're kicking yer own tush!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I never know what my bones are like - I have very narrow hips and shoulders but huge feet! I think I just have a mixed up body.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home