Once Upon a Fat Girl

Monday, June 11, 2007

Hard Habits to Break

I have some really bad habits that have contributed to my weighing over 300 pounds.

1. Somewhere along the way, I stopped moving. I never walk anywhere, even short distances. I ask my kids to get up and do things so I don't have to. I'm not lazy, but it hurts to move too much so I avoid it.

2. I eat when I'm unhappy or under stress. Especially sweet foods.

3. I give up when I feel like being healthy is too much work.

So I figure I need some new habits, and I plan on adding on every week during this summer.

My first is taking my vitamins. Every. Single. Day. I need them, especially the B and iron pills. Without them I'm sluggish and tired, because I'm anemic. There is no excuse for me not taking them.

Some other habits I want to work on are:

Drinking fresh juice once a day
Taking a walk every night
Giving up fast food
Replacing soda with water
Eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day
Cutting out all refined grains
Cutting back on processed foods

I'm also going to stop weighing myself. I'm not even going to step on the scale now, to see my starting point. This is not about weight. It's about feeling good and being strong enough to handle my life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. It's not so much the # on the scale that matters but how you feel. Are you overwhelming yourself with too many goals right now though? For me it's the walking that I need a kick in the butt to do. And with nothing on tv...i've no excuse not to walk !!! Keep up the energy and TAKE YOUR VITAMINS.

Gale

3:14 AM  
Blogger FatBlokeThin said...

Hi Shaunta,

I relate very much to your post.

It all comes down to motivation (duh, you know that!). I have been looking into ways to understand why we get demotivated. Check this post out - FatBlokeThin - The Fat Blokes Guide To Losing Weight!: Using the Transtheoretical Model to change your eating habits - Part 1.

My next post on this subject will outline the processes to use to achive lasting change.

It is so important to keep going - check out how I have managed it so far here :-

FatBlokeThin - The Fat Blokes Guide To Losing Weight!: Weight Loss MANIFESTO - LISTEN UP!

Sorry if this looks like a massive plug for my blog - it isn't meant to be (I have nothing to sell!)- I just want people to achieve their goals and if you can learn something from my experience, that is great!

Best of luck to you! Keep going.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even after over a year of dieting - I still struggle with overcoming old bad habits. Your new ones sound great -- take it slow be good to yourself and you can do it! Lady Rose (over 80lbs lost so far, only 60ish to go!)

1:28 AM  
Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

Shaunta, it sounds like you've got your head in check. You know all your triggers and you have a solid list of things to work on. The challenging part is to actually do it...and I know you can get it done!

By the way, I still see you as a triathlete on haitus. :)

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home