Once Upon a Fat Girl

Friday, June 16, 2006

My Million Little Pieces

I was all set to tell ya'll about my fab day. About how the kids and I went out to lunch at a place called Jillian's that's part restaurant, part arcade/bowling alley. I had a California salad (grilled chicken, avacado and mandarin oranges on a bed of lettuce. Not great, but okay.)

I was going to tell you that we went swimming after, and I was able to struggle through six laps (two freestyle, one breast, one back and two kicking.)

But I got sidetracked by some wierd/bad/scary news.

My little brother is being admitted into a residential treatment center today for heroin addiction.

My sweet 25-year-old visionary brother. A year ago he was taking photography classes and dreaming about taking a train across the US with nothing but his camera and a backpack. A year ago he bought an 1970s RV for $700, with the plan of fixing it up and driving it to Alaska so he could work on a fishing boat and earn money for his dreams.

How does such a brilliant beam of a person end up in tears, terrified of what's ahead for him?

A year ago he started taking pain killers to self-medicate for depression. That progressed to oxycotin (spelling?) Three months ago he started using heroin.

My heart feels broken in a million little pieces. I'm not sure if it's the result of a Nancy Reagan and her "Just Say No" propaganda, or my mother drilling the anti-drug message into me from...oh, I don't know...birth? But I can't shake the idea that people don't recover from heroin addiction. That it's impossible to really quit.

I'm afraid for my brother. I can't imagine the world without him in it. If anyone knows anything about heroin addiction, and the chances for recovery, I'm really interested. Otherwise...please pray for him.

And do me a favor. Remind your kids today not to ever, ever take drugs. Ever. It's scary shit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Living to Feel Good said...

Ugh!! I am so sorry to her that Shaunta!! I can't even imagine what you are going through. I've watched that show Intervention many times, and that's a rough life. I hope he gets well and stays well.

Hug!

8:02 PM  
Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother my friend. I'm hoping hard and crossing my fingers that he gets the help that he needs and comes out of this healthy and healed. (((Shaunta)))

12:15 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Best wishes for your brother. It's a great sign that he's gone for treatment.

People *do* recover from heroin addiction. Like any addiction, including food, it comes down to whether the person wants to stop.

I'm sure your own experiences and the strength you are showing will help him along the way.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

I'm going to keep your brother in my prayers, Shaunta. Addiction is a terrible thing, but there are thousands, perhaps millions, of people who have survived herion addiction.

Please, please, please, don't let his addiction put you back into the throws of your own addiction! You have come so far. You have to take good care of yourself in order to be a rock for him to lean on.

12:51 PM  
Blogger S said...

Sending you lots of {{{HUGS}}}. I have been there my friend. I have two brothers who have battled drug addiction and a brother-in-law who committed suicide after years of drug abuse. (He was 23 years old). I know how scary and heartbreaking it is to see someone you love go through this. He has my prayers.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home