Once Upon a Fat Girl

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tri-ing with Adrienne--update

We went to the Y this morning.

Nick and his friend went swimming--just playing in the pool.

It took forever to sign Ruby up for the baby gym (basically babysitting.)

Finally, we made it to the gym. I am more convinced than ever that encouraging Adrienne to do this with me is the right thing to do. She isn't fat. But her cardiovascular health is as bad as mine was on May 1. She walked on the treadmill with me for 20 minutes. I did 3 mph the whole time, she did 3 mph for about five minutes, then went down to 2.5 for five and finally finished the last ten minutes at 2 mph.

I don't want her to burn out. I told her that we should work out together three times a week. Tomorrow we're going back, but we'll just swim and have fun. I signed Ruby and Nick up for swim lessons that start Saturday morning at 11 a.m. So I figure we can get there at 10 or so and try out the indoor track this time.

I told her if she sticks with it, I'll get her an iPod for her birthday in August. Is bribing a kid to exercise a bad thing, do you think? I didn't make it an ultimatium.

The good news is that as we were leaving, she asked if she could take swimming lessons, too. And she wants to workout with me again on Saturday.

Baby steps, baby steps.

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 20 on the bike. I also did some arm exercises on the weights. I really need some help developing a strength training program. My legs are going to end up Superwoman strong, and my upper body's going to be weak as a kitten. Tomorrow I'm going to swim laps, which works my upper body until my arms are like overcooked spaghetti.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

I think getting her an iPod is a great idea. It might make her more motivated after she gets it...she might use it on the tread mill or on the stationary bike when she wants to do longer workouts. That'd be cool!

I'm glad you noticed, but many parents often forget that kids can be out of shape, cardiovascularly speaking. They figure that can do anything, but really they can over-exert just like we can.

Shaunta, I'm so happy that your getting your daughter, who is lovely, by the way, to focus on her health and fitness instead of "dieting". Kudos!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home