Once Upon a Fat Girl

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Seafood Cake and Bean Salad

How can you tell I'm a writer?

Does the three posts a day give you a clue? LMAO

I just wanted to quick let ya'll know that my internet has gone wonky on me. It lost it's signal almost all day today. And the damn cable company won't send someone out until Monday. Grrr. So, you know, if I don't get my three posts in between now and Monday, I didn't want anyone calling 'round to the hospitals or anything. HAHAHA

I wanted to let you guys know that I changed my mind about Adrienne and TOPS. She doesn't need to be focused on her weight.

Have you ever noticed that once you eat something really fatty, it's impossible to get things under control again for the day, fat wise? I try to stay under 30 percent. Today is 44 percent (!!) Why? Because I ate two Burger King Tacos for lunch. Only 300 calories, but outrageous amounts of fat. So my calories were good for the day...very good...but the fat was out of control!

I made a scrumptious dinner tonight, and wanted to share:

Seafood Cakes

1 package of crab (you know, the foil packets that are by the tins of tuna)
1 package of tuna (the solid, albacore kind)
Diced onion to taste
1 egg
1 T of mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (I used Smart Beat. I hate mayo and couldn't taste it which made me happy)
Lemon Juice
Garlic powder
Season salt
Seasoned Bread Crumbs

Mix up the mayo, juice, spices and onion in a bowl. Add the crab and tuna and egg, and about 1/3 cup of bread crumbs. Mix up. You should be able to handle the mixture well enough to form patties. If you can't, add more bread crumbs. It'll be sticky. Ok. Make your patties (I got five out of it) and coat them in more breadcrumbs. Put a little olive oil in a big pan, and brown them on both sides until they are warm through.

Holy God. These were so good. I ate three for dinner, and saved two for a sandwich tomorrow. They are super low in calories and fat if you use some kind of reduced calorie and fat mayo.

Marinated Bean Salad

1 can three- or five-bean salad (I used the five bean kind and it had kidney beans, garbanzos, green beans, yellow beans and something else I'm not remembering.)
Artichoke hearts
Green olives
Blue Cheese
Newman's Own Lighten Up Italian

Just toss it all together. A little cheese goes a long way, because it gets mixed up and has a strong flavor. I used about two Tablespoons for the whole salad. I used something like 10 green olives. So a serving only has two or three. Just enough to be a nice salty surprise. I love me some artichoke hearts. Use the kind packed in water. Dress with the Italian...maybe 4 Tablespoons. Refrigerate for at least two hours to let flavors mix.

Mmmmm. This stuff rocked. I just put some on a bed of lettuce. It was perfect with the Seafood Cakes. I'm thinking this is going to be the kind of thing that tastes so much better the next day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Living to Feel Good said...

The seafood cakes sound really good! I love that you keep sharing recipes. New ideas ya know!! Yum!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Maybe you are better off getting your daughter focused on fitness goals. If she is doing tri training plus still growing then dieting would be counter productive anyway. Food is fuel for training after all and need a balanced diet to perform well, rather than some stupid diet that cuts out food groups.

Does she have any sporting heroes? You could try putting the emphasis on women with strong healthy bodies rather than the media image of unnaturally thin girls.

It must be so hard raising a daughter - the body image thing is hard enough for adults now, let alone young kids.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home