Once Upon a Fat Girl

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Turkey Rueben Sandwich and Blackened Brussel's Sprouts

I thought I'd pass on two fantastic recipes I made today.

TURKEY RUEBEN SANDWICH

Turkey (I used deli meat, but I think real turkey from the bird would be great, too)
Sauerkraut
Low-fat Swiss cheese slice
mustard
two slices bread (I used whole wheat, but it should really be rye)
1/2 T butter or margarine

Butter one side of each slice of bread. Layer the rest of the ingredients on the non-buttered side of one slice. Top with the other slice. Grill in a pan like a grilled cheese.

This sandwich was so good it was addictive! I'm having another one tomorrow. If you really don't want the butter (1/2 T of country crock only has something like 60 calories though) you might try using the toaster oven. Compared to a regular corned beef rueben, this sandwich is far healthier and lighter.

BLACKENED BRUSSEL'S SPROUTS

1 bag frozen Brussel's sprouts
3 T olive oil
salt, pepper and garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 400. Pour the sprouts in a bowl of cold water to defrost. Cut each in half lenght wise. Mix well with oil and spices. Spread on a cookie sheet. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring and turning every 10 so they brown evenly. These babies will be very dark brown, almost black in spots. Even if you hate Brussel's sprouts, these are so amazingly good you'll be addicted. A half-cup only has 70 calories--and are super good for you.

I served them tonight with a chicken and stuffing casserole.

See why I don't feel deprived? MMM!

2 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I love anything with mustard and always order extra extra on anything I am eating when out. It has only a few calories and no fat!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Living to Feel Good said...

Good job on the Tri training! The sandwich sounds really good...not a brussel sprouts fan. Okay actually I've never had them, but I am scared to try them.

Thanks for the tip on Acres of Books. I'll have to check it out!

Also no my husband and I don't have kids...yet. I'm working on paying off my debt right now, and we plan to try next summer. Hopefully my debt will be alot better by then.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home