Once Upon a Fat Girl

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Product review: Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

I was all set to write a glowing review of this product. It's a soy-based cream cheese. Soy is a superfood, and one that I have a hard time getting enough of since I haven't mastered the art of tofu yet.

What the heck...I'll give the good news first.

The product is marvelous. It's thick and creamy with a real cream-cheese flavor. And at only 60 calories for two tablespoons (about the same as light regular cream cheese), it eats up less of the daily allotment than full-fat Philly's 100 calories for the same amount. It also has two less grams of fat. If you're trying, like me, to cut down on the animal fats, this is a really good substitute. The flavor is rich and cheesey and it doesn't feel like a fake at all. If you've been using fat free cream cheese, try Tofutti. The extra 30 calories are WELL worth the fabulous texture and taste. It's also a vegetarian product, and gluten-free.

Now for the bad news. This product contains partially-hydrogenated soybean oil. It has 2 grams of transfat per 2-tablespoon serving. Unfortunately, that makes this an occassional treat instead of a staple. I'm going to be on the lookout for a similar product made with healthier fats.

Also, I first saw this product at a regular chain grocery store and it was something like $4.50 a tub. I got it on sale at Sunflower Market for $1.99 and the regular price is only $2.79 there. So, you know, price it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home