Once Upon a Fat Girl

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Pound at a Time

Have you ever had an idea come to you so clearly that it seems outrageous that you've never thought of it before?

A few days ago I watched the season finale of Biggest Loser. I've watched every episode of five (I think) seasons, usually with a bowl of ice cream or a bag of popcorn in my lap. Because, what the hell is the point when no one could lose 10 pounds a week without living with Jillian Michaels and having her kicking butt for hours a day. Right? Right.

Then something came to me whole. I'm going to be 40 in three and a half years. If I lost just one pound a week between now and then, I could easily lose all the extra weight I've been hiding behind for the last twenty years. Just one pound a week.

How hard is that? One 500-calorie good choice a day. A ten minute walk every evening. I can do that. I know I can. The Biggest Loser people losing ten or even fifteen pounds in a week seems so far beyond my reach, that it's easy to say "why bother." But one pound? Just one.

So that's my goal. One pound a week. Nothing more. One. Pound. By Christmas I'll have lost 36 pounds. How nice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sunny said...

Welcome back Shaunta! You are so right! I think about that a lot, but usually in the opposite direction - instead of looking forward to what "could be". I'm constantly thinking about what "could have been". IF I had only kept up with this...IF I hadn't given up last fall...IF I had lost even one pound a week where COULD I have been right now? How cool that you can turn it around and imagine where you COULD be by this time next year. You are right - one pound a week is all it takes and by just trying for that goal, I'm sure you will make it well past 52 pounds by this time next year and wouldn't that be a much better vantage point than looking back to where you were last year? I know that is true for me anyway. Have an awesome week!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home