Once Upon a Fat Girl

Monday, July 02, 2007

Giving My Alli A Try

So I decided to try the new Alli pills. It was sort of an agonizing decision, because I want to be able to do this on my own. But apparently, I can't. Or I won't. Or something. It's been a year and I'm only down about 10 pounds from my highest weight.

What finally made my decision for me was the psychological advantages to using Alli. You can't eat a really high fat meal or you'll have some pretty nasty side effects. So on top of making it so that you're body doesn't digest twenty five percent of the fat that you eat, it helps make it necessary for you to learn to eat healthfully.

Yesterday was my first day. I did something I haven't done in a long time, I wrote down everything that I ate. When you're taking Alli, to avoid the side effects, you're supposed to eat no more than 30 percent of fat with each meal. (They reccomend less than 15 fat grams. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting there.) So what this did was make me think before I got ready to eat about where the fat in my meal was.

I don't know why I'm shocked that I'm fat. Even paying attention and really trying, I ate a little more than 2000 calories and 29 percent fat. If I'd eaten what I wanted to, what I would have just a day or two ago I would have:

1. Had peanut butter on my toast in the morning, instead of just jam and no butter.
2. Eaten a bunch of crakers with my tuna at lunch, and had some cheese, too.
3. We had McDonald's for dinner. I had the South West salad with grilled chicken (sort of nasty by the way. I hate McDonald's grilled chicken on a salad, it's sort of slimy.) My regular thing to eat at McDonald's is a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and a medium fries, and chocolate chip cookies.

If I had eaten normally, I would have doubled my calories and tripled my fat grams. Holy Crap. It's a wonder I don't weigh 500 pounds.

Anyway, I'll start posting and letting you guys know how the Alli is working for me. My starting weight is (sigh) 315.5.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

I say, if it motivates you to record everything you eat and helps you along the path to success...then give it a shot!

Good luck to you, Shaunta. I, for one, will be cheering you on.

6:12 PM  
Blogger M@rla said...

It's so shocking when you start tracking food! The calories pile up so quickly. Good luck with the Alli.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Annaliese said...

I think that the biggest effect of Alli is the psychological aspects. The pill forces you to either keep track of everything you eat and make conscious decisions or you get a pretty severe punishment.

I DON'T have the will power to do this on my own. I don't feel guilty about it because it's just a fact of life. I'm not proud but I am fat...for now. With the help of Alli forcing me to be conscious of how I eat each day I'm learning a new and healthier way to live.

Good luck to you!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting, keep improving - I know how hard it can be. Hope the Alli helps with out any unplesant side affects.

Health and Happpiness Lady Rose (over 80 lbs lost so far, only 60ish to go)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Sunny said...

I hope you have great success with this. I agree with the other comments, if it helps you become more aware and keep track of your food/calories/fat better...then it's worth a try.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Naturally Blessed said...

you know, i've started keeping a food diary too, and when i look up the nutrional information online, i wonder why im not FATTER.....some of the stuff, is/was outrageous! i ate Zaxby's(fried chicken place) the other nite...craving fried food and had some without thinking abotu the nutrional content...probably wont be doign that for a while.....1,076.83 calories in one meal....50.2 grams of fat....my g-d.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home