Once Upon a Fat Girl

Monday, January 14, 2008

An earnest resolution

Since the first, I've been following the Superfoodsrx Diet. I started at 313.5 and today I weighed myself...306.5.

It's super easy to follow. You just eat the 14 super foods (blueberries, oats, yogurt, tomatoes, oranges, soy, tea, turkey, salmon, broccoli, beans, walnuts, pumpkin, spinach.) There's some in there about portion sizes as well, and exercising for 30 minutes a day. He doesn't really tell you what to eat when, but he does lay out meals that fit in the guidelines. Also...you only eat grains during lunch or dinner, not both.

That's the hardest part for me. A meal just isn't a meal without bread, or potatoes, or pasta. I could eat a salad every day for the rest of my life...but without crackers it just feels wrong! The reasoning behind not eating grains at both lunch and dinner is to keep calories down, of course. Once you've lost the weight, or if you don't mind losing more slowly, there's a program in the book for adding a grain to the other meal if you want to (or you could use the extra for chocolate...yum!)

I'm here to tell you that it is almost impossible for me to eat less than 2,000 calories in a day. Even eating 2,000 is a significant reduction for me. I figured out (my weight X 14) that I've been eating at least 4,000 calories to maintain my current weight. Cutting that by 1,500 a day is a three pound a week weight loss if we're going by a mathematics-only logic (3,500 calories in a pound, times three is the same as 1,500 times seven.) Of course the body probably doesn't give a shit about mathematical logic. But it's a start.

The Superfoodsrx Diet, if you follow it strictly, comes out to about 1300 calories a day. When I tried following it that strictly I was hungry to the point of growling at people and hyperfocused on my next meal.

So let's just say that I'm loosely following the Superfoodsrx Diet. I'm eating the right foods, I'm really watching my portions, and I'm not binging which is huge for me. But I'm not depriving myself either. I'm really trying to pay attention to what I really want, and not eating everything else that my brain says goes along with it. For instance, I really, really, really wanted french fries the other day. I wanted them so bad that I could actually feel them crunching between my teeth. So when I went to lunch, I looked at the menu. Normally I would have gotten a hamburger to go with my fries. Or maybe a nice chili cheese hotdog. This time I got a Garden Burger (veggie burger.) I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy it was, and I throughly enjoyed every bite of my fries. AND I still lost more than three pounds this week.

So...seven pounds down, a boatload to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home