Once Upon a Fat Girl

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Anxiety

I'm taking Adrienne to the doctor today for a well visit, to get a check-up before she really starts working out this summer. (She's really raring to go on the exercise, which is so fantastic!)

I'm feeling a little anxious about it. Do I tell her doctor--a beautiful, thin, fit woman--that I'm training for a triathlon and Adrienne is interested in training with me? Will she laugh? Will she look at my gigantic body and shake her head?

I can already hear the excuses in my head. "I know it doesn't look like I'm training..."

I'm steeling myself now to not make any excuses for myself--or negate my efforts with some depreciating comment about my weight. I do that, you know. Put myself down before anyone else has the chance. I think it's the Jolly-Fat-Girl Syndrom. Make them laugh so they don't hate you for being so huge.

Then we're going to lunch with my dad, and to the YMCA. My first weight training session, using that plan I talked about yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

Ooh, I have a wicked case of the Jolly-Fat-Girl syndrome myself. If this appointment is for your daughter you don't have to explain yourself at all. Mention that she's raring to start an exercise program and go from there. Or, like you said, if you do mention your training leave it at that and don't take away from it with a ha-ha comment. Have fun at lunch and good luck with your weight training!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

You don't need to make excuses for yourself. You decided to train for the best sport of all (because it combines 3 great sports) and your daughter's doctor is not your doctor.

Maybe you should just tell Adrienne's doc that Adrienne recently learned about triathlons and wants to start running, biking and swimming to see if she likes it. The doctor will more than likely give her the thumbs up.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

If you say anything, I'm sure your doctor will be impressed. They see so many people who do nothing to help themselves that having a patient who is proactive is great. If she has any other reaction, change doctors!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home