Once Upon a Fat Girl

Friday, June 23, 2006

Even More About Barnes and Nobel

Went to Barnes and Nobel again today (it's right next door to my house), determined to ferret out one book that might support my non-dieting.

They had Sonoma and Makers and several Weight Watchers diet books. There were books for diets based on blood type and pH balance, books for sugar addicts, carb addicts, and general food addicts. My Barnes and Nobel has an entire aisle dedicated to calorie counters and carb counters and protein pushers. Even some oldies like a book about the cabbage soup diet. Really. Macrobiotics, raw food, non-fat...it was all there.

But nothing...not one book on the shelf...about normal, natural eating. Not one book about how dieting makes you fat. About how all the billions spent on all those other books will 95% of the time be wasted, becuase the dieter will eventually eat again.

They did have a couple of triathlon and swimming books that I wouldn't mind having, but they were out of my budget for today.

I looked at a blog today, and read back into the archives. This guy (yes, a guy!) decided to lose 15 pounds in five weeks. And he came very close. Then he gained every ounce back in the week following his crash diet.

Stories like that make me shutter. They scare me. Because I'd rather stay fat then lose weight and regain it. Losing 170 pounds and then gaining it back is something I worry about.

There's another guy who is following the WLS diet, without the surgery. I read in his archives and found out he actually did the blended food for the first however many weeks. Really.

I want to be sane. I want to be healthy...physically and mentally. I want energy and vitality. I want to be a kickass 60-year-old woman playing in a yellow-polka-dot bikini in the sprinklers with my grandbabies. I want to be the crazy old lady down the road who goes out running every morning and climbs mountains to celebrate her birthday. Sixty years from now I want some pretty young journalist to ask me how I stay so spry--so I can tell her I eat and I play.

I'm not going to get there by making myself sick on crazy-ass diets that don't take in to consideration the fact that I need fuel to live the fabulous life I'm aiming for.

Please don't ask me why I'm so damn philosophical today. I have no idea. Maybe it's a sign that I've neglected my novel for too long...I'm waxing damn poetic on you guys. Will someone please remind me on Monday that I've reached my deadline for being lazy regarding my rewrite? Thanks!

***

Did thirty minutes on the bike today. Somehow I managed to do nearly twice the distance on the same settings. I'm not sure if that was a technical glitch in the bike's computer, or if that weight training session really worked (hahaha!) but I'm taking it anyway...8.7 miles! I also splashed around in the pool with my kidlings.

Tomorrow is weights again. Can you believe I'm actually excited about it? And on Sunday morning I'm getting my long bike ride for the week in. Then we're driving out for a family barbeque at my Dad's place.

I smell like cholorine, my skin is itchy, I need a shower. I ate Eggplant Parm for the first time in my life. (It was made by Cedarlane...very good stuff!) Let's hear it for trying a new veggie!

I feel fantastic. Today I feel like I can take on the world.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

Your posts always inspire me so wax on chicka! Wax on..wax off..etc.

You have to wonder who writes that stuff. Who buys it? Who follows it?? Sometimes I think that "they" know how desperate we can get and they prey upon that desperation. Jerks.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it's awesome you're training for a triathlon, AND that you're trying to get healthy the "natural" way.

The best policy, in my opinion? Calories in, calories out. Make sure that you expend more calories in a day than you consume.

That's it.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Guys don't do diets as often as women, but when they do - they do it crazy!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Have you read the books by Geneen Roth? Her books are great and they deal with eating according to your hunger, not dieting.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home