Once Upon a Fat Girl

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Home Sweet Home

We drove home late-ish last night from Ely, floating on a Rocky Mountain High. Looking at the million stars and trying to figure out whether we can afford the $20,000 a year pay cut Kevin will take when we move there.

Yes, move there. He was offered a job, and we found our house. OUR house...it's perfect. I've looked at umpty million houses here in Vegas in the past year, and I've cried at what we can afford. I took one look at this house in Ely and was instantly in love. That feeling that I've been looking for here and haven't even come close to.

So anyway...we get home. And the gate and front door are both unlocked. The sliding back door is sitting completely out of it's track and sitting inside the house. (This is particularily scary, because the sliding glass door thing is in my novel.)

We were robbed.

The contents of both my and Kevin's night stands were dumped onto our bed. Door keys, two credit cards and our wedding rings were stolen out of a lock box. Kevin's Play Station and a few of Nick's games were taken, along with Kevin's video camera and my Canon Rebel. They dug through our collection of medications.

So. We are moving. With a little luck, we are moving October 1st. I'm waiting to hear from a lender today. Apparently, it's complicated to move out of town, if you don't have a bunch of money for the down on a house. If we can't buy immediately, I'll start a search for a rental house. But we are so fucking out of here.

Here's our house. It was built in 1930...2400 square feet, 5 bedrooms and three bathrooms. Pictures don't do the outside justice, because it needs to be painted (badly.) But it's a really lovely house.

Our house has two bedrooms upstairs, and a full basement with a den, three bedrooms, a bathroom and a laundry room. The basement is built into the side of the mountain.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It has a gorgeous backyard. You'd have to live in Las Vegas to appreciate grass this green in August. Because the back of the house bucks up to the mountain, literally, the back of our yard IS the mountain.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Something else you'd have to live in Las Vegas to appreciate is the view from our front door.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One of my favorite things about the house are the green slate front steps.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The kitchen is perfect. You can't tell really, but the little tiles on the counter are green.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We'll have an actual woodburning stove! LMAO

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And...seeing as this IS the country...a cat skin hanging from the freaking front yard tree. (We may have to put it in the offer that this sucker is removed before we move in. Gross!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have some hilarious pictures of Ely's brothels. I'm just not in the mood at the moment. But I'll post them next, I promise.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

Oh Shaunta! I'm so sorry to read that you were robbed. How scary that must be.

I love the pics of your "house to be"...lol.

Can't wait to see the brothel pics.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Martalu said...

I am so sorry about your being robbed. It has to feel like such a violation. I especially sorry about your wedding rings. Everything else can be replaced with time. Damn it, people can be so ignorant!

Anyway, good luck with the financing. I love that house!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

That is such sad and scary news about being robbed

Lovley pics though
and cool bens he got the job

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Omg... I've been robbed twice and it's such an awful thing. You feel like going out and getting a gun and hunting the buggers down. It sounds like there is a lot of synchonicity going on with this move - and when the universe tells you this stuff, you can't ignore it.

I'm sure the happiness you feel in your new home will more than make up for the pay cut.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I am so sorry that you were robbed! What a terrible thing to return home to, especially after having such a good feeling about your new home-to-be.

I love the pics. Thanks for posting them, a little bit of home for me. The kitchen is lovely and I love those houses that are built right into the mountains. Too cool.

I am, however, still laughing over being the news reporter in Battle Mtn. You do know that Battle Mtn. has officially been dubbed the "Armpit of America"? They even have a festival in the summer! Good luck with the financing and moving. ~Lori

6:58 PM  
Blogger TrixieBelden said...

I'm so sorry you were robbed! That must have been so scary. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Congratulations on the new house! The pictures are great. My parents live in Las Vegas, so I can appreciate the backyard pictures and all the trees.

The cat skin is a bit disconcerting. There aren't any inside the house, are there?

Good luck with the lender.

Can't wait to see where the lady's of the evening hang their hats in Ely.

Take care,

Trixie

10:09 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Total bummer on the robbery.
Very cool on the house.
Extremely gross on the cat pelt.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home