Once Upon a Fat Girl

Friday, January 12, 2007

Eyes Wide Open

I feel so strongly that the world is on the verge of massive change. There are all these things in the wings, like animals barely held back by their handlers. That's all the media/government/corporate bigwigs are, don't you think? Their job is to keep each other happy.

It's shocking to me that in the past several month's I've talked to just about everyone I know, and NONE of them had even heard about Peak Oil. Not my dad (I'm so disillusioned! I thought he knew EVERYTHING.) Not my ex-step-mother the science teacher. (She'd barely heard about it, but I still had to explain it to her.) Not Kevin, or his parents, or my best friend. Not my ex-husband who when we married was a diehard survivalist. Not his parents. Not anyone. It wasn't that they decided it was a bunch of nonsense. They'd never even heard of it.

Even the most Pollyanna-ish experts say that Peak Oil will hit by 2025. That's 18 years from. Eighteen years ago was 1989, the year I graduated from high school. I'm here to tell you, eighteen years is a blink of the eye. It's nothing.

And a lot of incredibly smart, educated people believe that Peak Oil has already hit, or will in the next year or two.

And everyone that I know (and I know people who SHOULD know) has never heard of it.

I'd like to ask all of you to read this. Just the essay on the front page. I promise you, it's so incredibly eyeopening, you'll never be the same.

Peak Oil would be enough. Add to it an economy about to collapse on itself, lead by a housing market already in recession. And Global Warming. And the threat of diseases like Avian Flu. And a war lead by a president who seems intent on escalating it to Biblical proportions. And we, folks, are teetering on the edge of the American life that Dick Cheney said not too long ago was non-negotiable.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story about no one knowing about Peak Oil is not unique.

My family members think I'm mentally ill --OCD'd on PO. Maybe they're right?

Getting the message out is a tough slog because most people are not programmed upstairs in away that allows them to receive the message. (Have you checked out The Oil Drum? It's a little less doomerish than Matt Savnir's LATOC.)

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home