Once Upon a Fat Girl

Monday, October 02, 2006

What we learned to day...Olmec Civilization

Did you know that the Olmec civilization was the first known civilization in Northern and Central America, taking root in Southern Mexico? Me either, but I do now.

The Olmecs are famous for great big stone "Colossal Heads." Like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(Am I alone in finding it a little sad that apparently a Mexican strip mall has sprouted up around this ancient piece of art?)

Anywho...Nick whipped us up some salt clay:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and we made our own Olmec art sculptures. The originals are made of basalt stone.

Adrienne's reminds me of Bug Out Bob:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Nick's cracks me up. He's wearing glasses and has his tongue sticking out. I wonder if the Olmecs even knew what a penguin was???

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All in all...big fun, but I think we can all be glad that Adrienne, Nick and I aren't the ones responsible for the survival of modern art.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home