Once Upon a Fat Girl

Friday, July 07, 2006

Ick Mood

I didn't make it to the gym yesterday. I think I'm going to have to face the fact that I don't have six hour-long workout sessions in me. Yet. This is the second day in a row that in the middle of the week I just crashed and had to take a second day off. So okay...I can handle that.

I actually had a "fat day" yesterday. You know what I mean right? A day where I moped around a lot and felt sorry for myself--feeling fat and disgusting. How disappointing. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I am always going to be fat, that what I'm doing is a huge waste of time and energy. That I should just go back to doing my best to sit completely still whenever possible.

Sigh.

I'm feeling better today. I know that part of the problem is that I'm not getting enough sleep. I can't seem to force myself to go to bed earlier. It seems like such a waste to go to bed so early--night time is the only time that I have to myself, when Ruby is asleep and Adrienne and Nick are in their rooms and the house is quiet. I write at night. Even though I KNOW that if I went to bed early I could get up early and be fresh and write better. I'm a morning person, damn it.

Sigh.

Ew. I hate this mood. I'm going to snap out of it today. An hour-long walk with six jog intervals should do it. It always does.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Rest days are as important as the days you spend working out.

Nothing brings me down faster than lack of sleep. Still it's hard when you have kids, you do need that time to yourself.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know what's funny? While you're having a fat day, I'm looking at your ticker and thinking that I'm so jealous that you've lost over twenty pounds. I would KILL to lose twenty pounds, and admire your hard work.

1:46 PM  
Blogger caygraymomma said...

I totally know what you are talking about but you are doing awesome. Don't give up okay. Just take that rest day that your body is asking for and start again the next day.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly what Jules said!!!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Amazon Alanna said...

Shaunta, we all get the "ick" moods. Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard, too often. Perhaps some of those hour long workouts should be 40 minutes, or a hour at a lesser intensity.

Two days off in a row is no big deal. Your body need recovery time.

As for going to bed earlier. Maybe you could make a deal with yourself and do it a few times a week. I'm sure that you could have time to yourself if you got up before your kids. Especially if you knew that you could get *better* writing done. (I think you're fab as is...I can't wait until you get published!)

Shaunta, just know that in all aspects of your current life you are heading in the right direction. That's what is most important.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're progress has been AWESOME!! Contratulations! It's more than okay to take 2 days off in a row and in fact its probably a good thing to do every now and then.

We all know our muscles can only grow on the day you are resting them so its okay to rest for as long as you need. Needing 2 days off probably means you have "ripped" the tiny muscle fibers a little more than you generally do and they need the extra day to continue to repair and grow. As for your question ...is it okay to do your weights only one day a week....the answer is yes. If thats what works best for you, its okay. Some of the very high ranking bodybuilders follow that technique and it works just fine for them because they give it 200% on that day and need several days of not doing weights ON THE SAME BODY PART to get the full benefits of their training. If thats the schedule you are interesting in...then try it out...but give it 100%....and then some!!!...to make sure you get the full rewards.

Another approach that you may be interested in is to split up your routine something like...cardio one day...upperbody the next day...lowerbody the 3rd day..then start the cycle again. cardio...upper..lower. One advantage is you get 2 days off before you train the body part again. You may find you are able to really make some intense progress in all the area's because you'll have 100% of your focus on doing an intense cardio session..then 100% focus the next day doing your upper body and so on. You can take a day off from exercise as you do now..but it wont be necessary if you feel like you want to go to the gym on day 7. (Of course on the days you do the weights, you will still need to do a warm up as was mentioned above.) good luck. I'll check back to see how its going.

12:23 PM  
Blogger The Relentless Reader said...

Hey Shaunta..I swear I'm not a stalker but I noticed you haven't posted in a couple of days. Just checking in :)

2:31 PM  
Blogger drstaceyny said...

I'm adding myself to Jen's stalker list. Hope everything's ok. . .

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home